Mass Hysteria

This is a place for me to post my rage at socio-politico-economico idiocracy. That and keep in touch with my friends. And also I don't wanna be the last of my friends with a blog.

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

I'm getting a little verklempt

I'm a pretty emotional -- or at least expressive -- guy, except when it comes to tears. There aren't many things that move me to water, but those that do get me almost every time.

This morning at 8:39 MDT I was moved to tears of joy.
NASA/KSC
NASA has successfully put mankind in space again. I almost said "men", but of course the Commander of this mission (STS-114) is a woman! I can remember being in preschool when Sally Ride became the first woman astronaut; she first flew on Challenger, the 7th shuttle mission over all (obviously, she was not on STS-51L, the fated Challenger flight in 1986).

When the Mrs. and I watched Armageddon, I teared up when they launched. The movie was terrible as SciFi goes, but nevertheless they were launching on space shuttles (or something like them), and that always does it for me.

I'll never forget turning on the TV on Saturday morning, Feb 1, 2003 as I was getting dressed for my 3rd CIT Alumni baseball game, only to lose all feeling in my legs. I called to Chan that something was wrong, to come here; I didn't know what it was, but it was bad. The image on TV was live, yet there was no sound, no speaking, nothing, just the American flag waving at half-mast with some sort of body of water behind it. I would later learn that this was the flag outside of mission control; this was how NASA confirmed the suspicion that Columbia was gone. No press conference, no emergency calls; someone just came outside and lowered the flag.

7 Comments:

At 7/27/2005 9:36 AM, Blogger Greg said...

Along similar lines, I have a question for you, Mr Space Guy. I was watching NOVA and they had a special on the 2 Mars rovers. Now, they stated they were examining the rocks for specific minerals to confirm the one time existence of liquid water (and they stated that liquid water is the key of life). Now, my question is this... water may be the key to life on Earth, but this is an alien world with a different atmosphere and its further from the sun... how do we know that liquid nitrogen isn't the key to life on that planet? Also, the minerals they are searching for... again, they are indicitave of past water on Earth, but hwo do we know if the same minerals would be found on that planet, water or no. So basically all they have are a series of hypothesis based upon our environment, atmosphere and conditions but, in all reality, cannot conclusively prove jack shit. Is that right?

 
At 7/27/2005 2:44 PM, Blogger GFreak said...

Correct.
Unless we find something living, we haven't really proved anything. However, if one subscribes to the theory of panspermia wherein life (or the building blocks thereof) only truly arise at one place in the universe and then travel to other worlds via displaced matter (i.e. chunks of rock knocked into orbit by an asteroid impact), then it could be reasonably assumed that two neighboring worlds (Mars is pretty freakin' close to Earth when considering astronomical scales) would have the same type of life. Even Europa (moon of Jupiter -- or is it Saturn?) is pretty nearby, and we're nearly certain that it does have liquid water under a thick shell of ice which, if it's like earth, could have life thriving around geothermal vents at the bottom of the "sea".

Back to the issue of "other forms of life" i.e. non-carbon based or non-water-reliant: the bigger issue will be recognizing it. If some other life from is obviously loco-motive and is of a similar scale as humans or our animals, we'll recognize it. But, just for example, there is a "blob" of "slime-mold" somewhere in the Amazon (I think?) that is the "largest organism in the world" since it covers several square miles, yet it wasn't even recognized as "life" until only recently!

Unfortunately with SciFi type entertainment, we get a lot of alien creatures that are still bipedal oxygen breathers! How egotistical of us, that we assume that something that evolved on a different "star system" let alone a different environment would be even remotely similar to us!

 
At 7/28/2005 8:22 AM, Blogger Greg said...

OK, thanks, that does make more sense. I may be wrong in this (as I often am) but I was under the impression that Venus was actually closer to us and also had a better chance of life than Mars. But, duh, I guess not or there would be Venus probes more so than Mars probes... sometimes I answer my own stupidity.

 
At 7/28/2005 12:01 PM, Blogger Ron said...

One million monkeys with one million typewriters may be able to generate Shakespeare, but would never be able to recognize it.

I'm not going to start paying attention until they discover something akin to early amino acid development on other planets. When you begin to have basic protein structure, then wake me up.

 
At 7/28/2005 2:14 PM, Blogger Greg said...

I hear you. To me what they are doing has all the excitement of hiking out at Red Rock or the Valley of Fire. Looks pretty much the same, too.

Oh Greg, sorry I'm a schmuck, for some reason I had your anniversary as the 27th, not the 29th. So I was early... sue me.

 
At 7/28/2005 9:00 PM, Blogger GFreak said...

No worries, thanks for the card!

 
At 7/06/2007 10:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I had seen it. Maybe that sounds morbid, but what an amazing historical moment, that I was probably off serving some pervert beer and getting high for....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home