Mass Hysteria

This is a place for me to post my rage at socio-politico-economico idiocracy. That and keep in touch with my friends. And also I don't wanna be the last of my friends with a blog.

Monday, July 04, 2005

Got It! All this for only $1/3 Billion!

http://deepimpact.jpl.nasa.govDeep Impact Confirmation.jpg



After 172 days and 140+ million miles, a man-made-copper-coffee-table crashed into Comet Tempel 1 at roughly 10 kilometers per second. The impact was expected to leave a crater somewhere between the size of an SUV to the size of a football field.

Favorite quote from NASA, post-impact:
I can't believe they pay us to have this much fun! Don Yeomans (Deep Impact mission co-investigator at JPL), 2:06 a.m. EDT July 4, 2005

I can't wait to see the TERABYTES of data that this has and will generate... Hubble and Chandra were trained on it, and the 'scopes in Hawaii were the only terrestrial ones with a view during the impact, so hopefully at least one of the Kecks was watching, as well as those on Haleakala!

3 Comments:

At 7/05/2005 2:29 PM, Blogger Greg said...

I saw this on the news and thought... reminda me of my Hot Wheels smash up derbys I used to have. Grown ups look for any reason to bash shit... I love it.

Honestly, I hope for some nice images... should be interesting.

 
At 7/06/2005 11:36 AM, Blogger GFreak said...

It's supposed to be visible with decent binoculars or any small telescope... but still, all you're gonna see is a bright spot with a faint glow instead of a bright spot. It would have been cool to be watching as it happened, so see the bright spot turn into the haze.

Unfortunately, while Chan and I were searching online to see where in the sky to look, the headlines went from "Impact imminent" to "Yee Haw!".

 
At 7/06/2007 11:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No wonder you wanted to work for Nasa so badly....this makes me want to consider applying for a job! I didn't know you got to crash things.....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home